Find out more 2020 Cateys winners revealed
Members of the Master Innholders have scooped both individual and property awards at this year’s Cateys.
The 2020 Cateys recognised the most talented individuals, biggest brands and the strongest performers in the hospitality industry for the last 12 months with the 22 category award winners announced during a virtual ceremony on 24 November.
Master Innholder David Connell FIH MI, general manager of South Lodge in West Sussex, was awarded Manager of the Year and described by the panel of judges as an "inspirational role model" and "champion" of the hospitality industry.
The Wine and Spirit Ambassador Award was awarded to Master Innholder Andrew McKenzie FIH MI, managing director of the Vineyard Group. Andrew was recognised for his dedication into creating a culture of passion around wine, which has resulted in a roll call of some of the UK's most exceptional sommeliers at The Vineyard.
Hotel of the Year gongs were awarded to Hilton London Bankside within the group category and The Queensberry in the independent category, which are both managed by Master Innholders. The 292-bedroom Hilton London Bankside, managed by James Clarke FIH MI, was praised by the Cateys judges for showing that creativity and innovation can sit alongside global brand standards. The independent hotel winner, The Queensberry, owned by Laurence Beere FIH MI, was recognised for creating a supportive environment for their 40-strong team and strong leadership.
Hotelier Robin Hutson, UKHospitality chief executive Kate Nicholls and chef-restaurateur Alain Ducasse received the top accolades at the 2020 Cateys.
The full list of 2020 Cateys winners include:
- Best Marketing Campaign Award – Sponsored by the Vegetarian Butcher: Seren Collection
- Manager of the Year – Sponsored by Franke Coffee Systems: David Connell, South Lodge
- Best Use of Technology Award – Sponsored by TWISPER Business: Edwardian Hotels London
- Accessibility Award – Sponsored by Blue Badge Access Awards: Cottage in the Dales
- Newcomer Award – Sponsored by Goya Communications: Cornerstone
- Menu of the Year Award – Sponsored by Teflon: The French House
- Sustainable Business Award – Sponsored by Coca-Cola European Partners: The Bay Fish & Chips
- Pub and Bar Award – Sponsored by Britvic: Sally Abé, the Harwood Arms
- Restaurateur of the Year – Independent – Sponsored by OpenTable: Tom Kerridge
- Restaurateur of the Year – Group – Sponsored by Bidfood: Des Gunewardena and David Loewi, D&D London
- Best Employer Award – Sponsored by Nescafé: Firmdale Hotels
- Wine and Spirit Ambassador Award – Sponsored by Champagne Taittinger: Andrew McKenzie, the Vineyard Group
- Health and Nutrition Award – Sponsored by Knorr Professional: Westminster Kingsway College
- Public Sector Caterer Award – Sponsored by Bidfood: Mark Davies, ISS UK Food Services
- Education and Training Award – Sponsored by Caterer.com: Gary Hunter, Westminster Kingsway College
- Hotel of the Year – Group – Sponsored by Sky: Hilton London Bankside
- Hotel of the Year – Independent – Sponsored by Sky: The Queensberry hotel
- Foodservice Caterer Award – Sponsored by Diversey and Zenith Hygiene: Kevin Watson, Amadeus
- Chef Award – Sponsored by Brakes: Tom Kitchin
- International Outstanding Achievement Award – Sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions #FairKitchens: Alain Ducasse
- Special Award — Sponsored by CH&Co: Kate Nicholls
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Sponsored by Caterer.com: Robin Hutson
For more information on the Cateys or the 2020 winners, click here.